Personal Health Insurance (PHI) has different underwriting guidelines than life insurance or critical illness insurance. An underwriter can often make a decision based on the information provided in the application. We will be able to process a client's application faster if the application is completed in full, including all information relevant to the client's overall health. PHI underwriters take into consideration the proposed insured's medical history including and pre-existing conditions.
The client won't be eligible for coverage for pre-existing conditions or treatments. In these situations, a modified offer may be made with exclusions. A pre-existing condition or treatment is identified where a client has symptoms, received medical treatment, care, advice or diagnosis was recommended or received for any injury, illness, disease or sickness before the date the application was signed.
- Standard issue
- Modified - offer made with exclusions in the policy because of pre-existing condition or treatment and/or a rating because of a person's build.
- Declined - Coverage is not available if the client:
- is currently awaiting doctor recommended tests or investigations,
- has a pending surgery, or
- has had any of the following illnesses or conditions, listed in the chart below: